Ryan Fitzpatrick isn’t going anywhere. Not after a bad game last week nor after a gross, ugly and poor two-quarter stretch against Miam, an hour-or-so span in which he was picked off thrice.
That doesn’t make me an apologist, it makes me a realist. Buffalo has a need for a dynamic defensive player come April and barring Andrew Luck dropping to No. 8 — or wherever the Bills choose — Buffalo will not be selecting a quarterback who will win the job over Fitz in the summer.
– With that out-of-the-way, how bad were Fitz’s second and third quarters? On the AAToB, it falls somewhere between “Awful” and “Pathetic.” Yes, terrible seems the appropriate adjective. For a couple weeks, Fitz has been throwing balls so askew that it’s hard to pick for which receiver it was intended. Perhaps he’s having a word shake-up in his brain where “triple-covered” is being mistaken for “wide open.”
– Luckily, Miami is awful and turned those three picks into a total of three points. Dolphins football: FEEL THE EXCITEMENT.
– Anyone else have a problem with the time of possession for the Bills’ second drive of the second half being recorded as 0:00? Surely, the snap to Fitz and ensuing pass had to take at least one second?
– CJ Spiller’s stat line looked an awful lot like a solid Fred Jackson day. You have to think that if Spiller is able to keep this up over the remaining games, it cannot bode well for Jackson’s desires for a new deal. Honestly, as much as I love Fred and his story, it shouldn’t bode well.
– Marcell Dareus is up to a solid 37 tackles and six sacks on the year despite missing Kyle Williams, or at least a healthy Kyle Williams, for most of the season. Combine that with Aaron Williams strides as a rookie corner and Kelvin Sheppard’s growing grasp of the middle linebacker position, and I hesitate to say the Bills could’ve done better with their first three picks of the 2011 Draft.
– Receivers accounted for 18 catches and 204 yards for the Bills, but the absolute lack of anything at tight end gives creedence to the theory that Scott Chandler can ball. He’ll be an important re-signing, because Mike Caussin and Lee Smith leave several things to be desired.
– Drayton Florence continues to make a mess of things at corner.
Stat line I liked…
Spiller, 22 touches for 164 yards, 2 TDs
– Nice stuff. See above.
Stat line I didn’t like…
Reggie Bush, 25 carries, 203 yards, TD
– Yeah, but if you take away his 76 yard run he… still had a great yards-per-carry.
Spiller, Williams, Dareus
Three of Vontae Davis’ eight career interceptions have come against the Bills.
Tim Tebow. The Lord’s birthday eve. Denver, 30-22.